Our EVP of Marketing, Muhammad Yasin, had a chance to hang out with Katrina Greene (CAM, Senior Regional Property Manager, and NALP Instructor) in a virtual chat on leasing agent training to find out why she views training as an ongoing process, not a one-time event. She had strong opinions on how training itself serves as an introduction or launch of behavior that will then require practice. She also stressed that you must be brave to succeed as a leasing agent, understand your value, and appreciate having a conversation, rather than taking orders.
During her chat with Muhammad, Katrina conveyed the importance of:
- Human interaction in the leasing process
- The benefit of listening to calls to identify training opportunities
- Using positive affirmations with prospects
- Demonstrating knowledge to earn the right to sell
She also shared tools and tips to make the communication effective and the experience memorable for prospective renters.
Much of the conversation with Katrina centered on reviewing phone conversations between leasing agents and prospects. She uses these calls to reinforce what’s working and identify opportunities for improvement — not only for the leasing agents but also for the properties as a whole. She says it’s important to give your team permission to fail and permission to succeed while demonstrating ways to improve — not just telling them what to do.
After listening to Katrina, it is obvious why the oath she keeps for every interaction works:
“I did everything I know to do using my knowledge, personality and skills to help this person understand my community is a great place for them.”
RESOURCE LINKS TO HELP WITH TRAINING
- Screenshot sharing tool: Snagit
- Template: Phone Call Tips (Canva account required)
- Template: Email Tips (Canva account required)
- A-Z List for Qualifying Agents
- Blog Post: 20 Creative Ways to Follow-Up With Leads
- Customizable face masks provided by Screenbroidery
CONNECT WITH US